Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Corset

Thus far, I've got this:
I'm using size 13 needles and the poncho yarn, which is probably comparable to a medium bulky soft spun wool.

Cast on 78 on this order:

(14 stitches,stitch marker, 2 stitches, stitch marker)4 times, then cast on 14 stitches.

Knit three rows. (This was a mistake on my part regarding ribbing, but I'm turning it into part of the pattern because with the party in eight days, I cannot be frogging. And it kind of looks ruffly.)

Next row: Knit 14 stitches, purl the two inside the markers. Repeat til the end of the row.
Next row: Purl 14 stitches, knit the two inside the markers. Repeat til the end of the row.

This will go on for six inches or so, creating the ribs of the corset. I'm tentatively poking the idea of shaping the waist, not sure if I'm brave enough.
Anyway it's a corset, it will be laced to body shape...and I don't want a REAL rib squeezer, I have to be comfy at parties because I hate them. I'm only going because, well, it's a costume party and I'm a sucker for dressing up. And Moulin Rouge, too. I can't resist.

The top of the corset will be crocheted, crocheters, so I'm hoping it will inspire you to be brave and try knitting! This top will be classy enough for everyday wear, I'm hoping. I know it will be beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm i'm newb knitter, but i'm definately going to give this a try! this is just what i need, something interesting and inspiring, to continue trudging thru the learning process... =P

    ReplyDelete